Getting escrowed money back?

UPDATED: May 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Getting escrowed money back?

I would like to get the money my mortgage company is holding out of escrow in order to pay my taxes and insurance myslf. The mortgage company said that they will have to charge me over 1000$ to get this money back. Is that legal?

Asked on May 13, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

No it is not legal what this mortgage servicer or lender is attempting to do.  Immediately contact your State of Connecticut Department of Banking and file a consumer complaint.  This is exercising your rights through the administrative agency process.  This is a separate process and doesn't halt your rights to sue through the civil court process.

The Dept's web address is:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption