Can a bank account be garnished a second time if there is still money owed onthe samedebt?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a bank account be garnished a second time if there is still money owed onthe samedebt?

About 2 months ago a collection agency garnished all of the funds in my checking/savings account to satisfy an old debt. There is still a balance on the account. Can the collection agency garnish my account a second time to claim the balance of the same debt?

Asked on July 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you are the judgment debtor owing a third party a valid judgment, your bank account can be repeatedly levied upon and the amount garnished by the judgment creditor until the judgment owed is satisfied in full.

Rathe rthan worrying about monies being taken out of the blue as part of the garnishment process by the collection agency, have you considered entering into an installment agreement with the creditor to make monthly payments that you can afford and if such an agreement is reached in writing, you obtain a signed satisfaction of judgment from the judgment creditor?

Such a suggestion may make things easier for you financially and reduce the stress resulting from the collection process.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption