FTC and home improvement contracts

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

FTC and home improvement contracts

If you are offered a “discounted” price on a contract for parts/labor for home improvement (siding/windows), does the FTC really mandate that the discount price must be accepted/contracted immediately – otherwise the price must go back up to the original estimate if contracted at a later date?

Asked on August 24, 2012 under General Practice, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) deals with intrastate trade between and through states in this country and has no say with respect to a discounted contract offer by a vendor located in one state to a consumer located in the same state. Rather, state law controls any improprieties with respect to the contract offer.

To answer your question, the consumer has the option to accept the offer of the vendor or not within the time period given in the offer. If not accepted in the stated time period by the consumer, there would be no valid contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption