If a friend of mine gave me $1000 as down payment for my old van but later changed his mind, must I give the money back?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a friend of mine gave me $1000 as down payment for my old van but later changed his mind, must I give the money back?

Now, a few months later he has decided that he doesn’t want the van so is asking for the down payment to be returned. I did remove the van from my listings and now I did missed the season for sale. I am telling my friend I will keep the down payment as lost but at the same time I don’t have any written agreement between us that in case he decide not to get the van I can keep the money. Can I do something about it?

Asked on October 13, 2014 under Business Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

An oral (unwritten) agreement can be enforced as well as a written one. If there  was an oral agreement that you would sell him your van and that he would put down a $1,000 deposit, then if he chooses to not go ahead with the sale, you do not need to return the deposit. You would only need to return it if:

1) The agreement had been that the deposit was refundable if he changed his mind; or

2) You, not him, were the one who caused the sale to not go through.

Otherwise, you may keep the deposit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption