Friend borrowed my car an wrecked

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Friend borrowed my car an wrecked

I lent my truck to a friend of mine who is also my tenant. he then got into an accident with it and did $6,000 worth of damage and rear ended four other cars. We agreed that he would pay for the damages and he started buying part by part as his paychecks came in. He stopped paying rent and moved out and has not finished paying for the broken parts or the truck. I had to end up footing the bill for about $5,000. He blocked me on his phone social media. I have no understanding on how to recoup the money owed to me.

Asked on July 19, 2017 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You sue him: that's how you get the money someone owes you, whether because they damaged your property (the car) or because they failed to pay you rent. A lawsuit is the mechanism for recovering money owed to you by another. For $5,000, you probably want to sue in small claims court, as your own attorney, to avoid legal bills (you'll have to pay a small filng fee to start the case, however). If you want to explore suing in small claims court, you can get instructions from the court, either in person at the clerk's or customer service office, or online. Note that you MUST have a physical address for him to sue him: lawsuits are started by physically delivering the court papers to the defendant (person being sue), so without a physical address, you cannot sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption