What to do if someone fraudulently took a student loan out in my name?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if someone fraudulently took a student loan out in my name?

Someone took out a federal student loan and a federal school grant under my social security number. I have a police report, called the school, Dept of Education, Office of Inspector General, investigators and FSA. It’s been 1 year and still no resolution. Do I need a lawyer? I would like to go to school this fall but cannot get financial aid.

Asked on February 21, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since you have had no recourse due to someone fraudulently assuming your identity, I suggest that you consult with an attorney who practices law in the area of loan fraud defense and consumer law. Such contact may be the best way for you to try and get the problems arising from the use of your identity by another person so that you can get on with your life and not have to deal with the negative results of what has happened.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption