What are my options if former employer is refusing to pay the agreed daily rate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options if former employer is refusing to pay the agreed daily rate?

I worked for a small timber company, I agreed to work for them for $200/day daily rate, as a CDL Operator. They are refusing to pay me the agreed to daily rate $200/day, because I refused to operate unsafe equipment, I refused to violate federal mandate hours of operation, and I refused to utilize roads restricted to my assigned vehicles weight class. They have withheld my pay because I refused to violate federal regulations concerning Commercial transport and I am no longer employed for the same reasons listed above. They have also threatened me with legal damages for

Asked on November 12, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them them for the money. If you worked, they must pay you: when an employee agrees to work for an employer, it is pursuant to a contract, even if only an oral (or unwritten) one. The employee agrees to perform certain work in exchange for certain pay; if the employee does his or her part (e.g. does the work), then the employer is contractually obligated to do its part and pay. If not paid, the employee can sue for "breach of contract" (for violating that agreement) for the money he or she is owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption