Do I have any legal recourse against my former employer if they blocked me from working for my current employer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any legal recourse against my former employer if they blocked me from working for my current employer?

I was hired by a company that was doing contract work for a former employer I worked for for many years and was part of a company wide lay off several years ago. My background check came back with no issues. I had good references from the former employer and managers that I worked with. Everything looked good and was hired. The former employer refused to allow me access to their network or materials stating a security risk. This left my current employer no choice but to let me go. The former employer gave no reason or explanation to me or my current employer.

Asked on April 3, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you do not have an legal recourse against them. There is no legal duty or obligation on  them to give a former employee access to their network or materials: they are allowed to refuse to do this for any reason whatsoever. Since they had the legal right to do this, their is no liability or recourse: you can't take action against people for doing what they were legally allowed to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption