What to do fi my former employer is asking for reimbursement of my travel costs?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do fi my former employer is asking for reimbursement of my travel costs?

My former employer emailed me this morning asking me if I wanted the costs of 2 flights for business trips deducted from my final paycheck or if I wanted to reimburse her personally. I did not sign anything or verbally tell her that I would ever assume the costs of any business expenses. How do I resolve this issue?

Asked on August 15, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you did not agree to reimburse for business travel and this was legitimate business travel (e.g. it wasn't a vacation you took and tried to pass of as business travel), and if the company's general policy was to pay for business travel, then they can't now take the money out of your paycheck. (Note that the law does not require employers to pay for busines travel--it is legal to make employees bear this cost; therefore, if the company's policy was that you would need to pay for this, you do have to pay; the issue, though, is what was the  policy in effect when you took this trip?) 
Assuming that the policy was that employee's don't have to absorb their own travel costs, that you did not specifically agree to pay for this travel, and that it was a legitimate business trip, you can tell her "no"--you can inform her that you will not pay for this travel and that if she does not pay your full paycheck that you will file a complaint the the state department of labor and/or sue her/the company for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption