UPDATED: Jun 1, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My husband has signed my name to three different checks. His name is not on any of the accounts. The first check was for $500.00 and he cashed it right at the bank drive up window around 11:00 in the morning. I called the bank and it had already gone through. I also took a copy of the check to file a compliant to the county sherrif. Then he has take two more checks from a different bank account , signed my name, and cashed them at a local grocery store in the same town. The checks were for $200.00 each. I now have a copy of them. What is he facing when I take these checks to the sherrif?

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Criminal Law, Illinois


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

First, lock your checkbooks away where he can't get at them.  Inconvenient, but necessary.

I'm not an Illinois attorney, but my research suggests that theft of more than $300 is a Class 3 felony, which carries a prison sentence of 2-5 years.  Now, I suppose it's possible to argue that a man can't steal from his wife, although I'd argue strongly that it isn't so.  But what he did also looks like forgery, and that, too, is a Class 3 felony, regardless of amount, and each check is a separate offense.

If you're going to go in that direction, you will also be in need of a divorce lawyer -- and yes, you can divorce him before he gets out!  One place to find qualified attorneys is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption