Forged signature

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Forged signature

My ex-husband forged my signature on a loan modification document. He and one person from the mortgage company insist I am not on the mortgage which I know I am not but I am listed as a borrower on the modification. He was not approved for another modification or refinancing which I was told is the only way I will no longer be listed as a borrower. I did my part with the quit claim deed and then discovered this. I do not like nor want my name attached to anything dealing with the house. Do I have any legal avenues to pursue as far as the forged signature and how would this affect the mortgage?

Asked on June 16, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can bring a lawsuit for a declartory judgment (a court determination) that you are not on the modification and a court order that the modification be voided, since it is the product of fraud (and also identity theft). You legally cannot be added to an agreement, made responsible for a loan, etc. without your consent, and any attempt to do so is void. However, the way the legal system works, you have to enforce your rights via a lawsuit--no one enforces them for you. As long as you are suing over this, you should also sue for compensation--e.g. the costs you incur due to this forgery (like the legal fees). 
If the modication is voided, the original mortgage should be reinstated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption