What can i do regarding a forged doctor’s note?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can i do regarding a forged doctor’s note?

My daughter has been sick lot and the doctor didn’t need to see her. The school said if I didn’thave doctor’s notes for all absences that I would be charged with truancy. I had an old doctor’s note and didn’t forge the doctor’s signature but did change the date; it was considered fake and the school called the district attorney who is pressing criminal forgery charges against me. I have never been in trouble with the law. Can I face jail time for this?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Typically, the crime of forgery or forging false documents is a felony, and in Michigan it's punishable to up to 14yrs In prison. This however applies to the forging of public records, not necessarily a doctors note. Contact a crimnal defense attorney in your area to determine if changing the date on the note is considered criminal fraud. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption