What to do if a foreclosed home judgment was not updated?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a foreclosed home judgment was not updated?

My husband’s home foreclosed 5 years ago. It was sold for a substantial amount less than what

was owed. When reviewing the case through the online court system, it still shows a judgment for the total amount owed; it does not reflect a new balance minus the amount it sold for. Should this have been updated? Also, it is not showing nor have we been notified that any deficiency judgment has been filed.

Asked on April 11, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Delaware


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A judgement is not updated when it is partially paid, whether by the defendant or by the sale of a foreclosed home. That does not mean that your husband owes more than the remaining balance (judgment less amounts realized from the sale), but the judgment itself in the court system is not updated until and unless is paid in full (or the creditor agrees to take less than full payment as payment in full) and a stipulation is filed in court that the judgment has been "satisfied." It is all or nothing in terms of paperwork in the court system: either it has been satisfied or it has not been. That stated, again, the creditor can't seek more than the total amount of the judgment, so if, say, the original judgment was for $200k but $140k was realized by the sale, they are only entitled to another $60k.
There is no law requiring the creditor to seek a deficiency judgment: they have the right to, but are not required to do so. There would only be notice of one if and when they seek one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption