For an annulment, how can I prove my husband is still married in another country?

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

For an annulment, how can I prove my husband is still married in another country?

I am filing for an annulment due to the fact that my husband is still married in another country. What is required for proof of this marraige? I don’t think I am able to get their marraige certificate. I may be able to get him to write an affidavit if he will not be criminally punished for bigamy (I should also mention that he is an immigrant who has overstayed his visa.) If he did get in “trouble” with the INS, what is likely to be his punishment?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you wish to obtain an anulment from your husband but cannot obtain his marriage certificate yet from the woman he is married to, I would simply ask him where he was married in order to try and get a copy of the marriage certificate for your pruposes.

Another option is to have him sign a declaration under the penalty of perjury that he was married to someone else and was never divorced.

If not, you simply file your petition for an annulment in your county court house and have him defend the action.

If you are successful in getting an anulment or a divorce from him via a court order, then there is a good chance that he would be subject to deportation since he has overstayed his visa and would no longer be legally in this country and subject to deportation by the immigration and naturalization service. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to assist you in your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption