For a construction contract who can attest corporate officer’s signature ?

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

For a construction contract who can attest corporate officer’s signature ?

A VP signs a construction contract. Can
someone other then the Corperate Secretary
attest signature. Can another VP attest

Asked on September 22, 2017 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Signatures on contracts do not need to be attested: once a corporate officer with the necessary actual or "apparent" authority--like a vice president--signs a contract in his/her executive or managerial capacity, it is legally binding on the company, without need for attestation.
("Apparent authority" is what it sounds like: having sufficient authority as viewed by a reasonable outside person, such that the outside person would reasonably enter into a contract signed by this officer or manager in the good faith belief it is binding, which reasonable, good faith belief the courts will vindicate.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption