Florida Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

You can change your name in Florida in a few simple steps. The process mostly requires filling out the appropriate forms and filing them with the circuit court clerk of the county where you live. A fee will also be required. The information here will help you along the way by providing simple answers to some of the questions you may have.

What forms are required for a Florida name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Florida:

  • Petition for Change of Name (Adult) (form 12.982(a))
  • Final Judgment of Change of Name (Adult) (form 12.982(b))

These forms can be found on the Florida State Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Florida?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?


Is there a filing fee for a name change in Florida?

Filing fees vary by courthouse. Check with your local courthouse for more information.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will tell you the date of your court hearing when you file your Petition.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Possibly, depending on the rules of your local court. Check with the clerk of your local circuit court for more information.

Any other requirements for a Florida name change?

You must have a certified copy of your fingerprints taken by a local law enforcement agency. Check with your local courthouse for more information.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption