What can I do abut a fleeing the scene charge?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do abut a fleeing the scene charge?

I had gotten in an accident and it was a very heavy road in the sense it had a lot of cars and also it is a very dangerous road to stop on. So I went into a neighborhood in order to wait for the other person involved. However, she called the cops and said that I fled the scene when I didn’t because I waited for her. Is there anyway for me to fight this?

Asked on March 1, 2017 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can explain to law enforcment that this was a misunderstanding and that you did wait, but in a safer location than was available on scene.  However, you do not need to visit with law enforcement on your own.  Doing so puts your words at risk of being twisted by an investigator.  You do need counsel.  However, you do not need to hire an attorney for full representation.  You can hire one just to attend the meeting with law enforcement with you.  That way, your rendition of events is clearly and correctly conveyed without being misinterpreted by law enforcement.  Hiring a attorey for one hour will be cheaper than paying for full representation if you are formally charged later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption