Fire Damage done to personal vehicle.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Fire Damage done to personal vehicle.

Vehicle A caught fire, person driving stopped next to Vehicle B (which was parked). Vehicle A’s insurance company won’t cover the damage because it wasn’t arson. Vehicle B only had liability insurance. What can be done to repair the $4000 worth of damage on Vehicle B?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Accident Law, Georgia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

This is going to depend on all of the facts of the case; it may be that some of the "details" matter very much. Also, I'm not a Georgia attorney, and auto insurance law is different from one state to the next; this may also depend on how the insurance on Vehicle A is worded.  One place to find a lawyer who can help you get all of this straightened out is our website,

In most states, it would be my guess that it doesn't matter if the damage is caused by Vehicle A running into Vehicle B or (like this time) by having fire spread from A to B.  If the liability insurance on Vehicle A is for damage to the other "arising from the use and/or operation of the insured vehicle" or some such language, most states' courts will interpret that kind of language to find coverage wherever possible, and it would probably extend to this.

Sometimes, some insurance companies seem to make their clams decisions based on what they think they can get away with.  When you have a lawyer speaking for you, most insurance companies know better than to keep trying that on you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption