Financing A Car During a Divorce

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Financing A Car During a Divorce

My wife and I have been separated for well over 5 years at this point and recently I financed a new car. I co-signed with my dad in this case. Anyway, we’re going through the divorce finally, in Florida, and I was curious. Since the car is financed, do I need to list it as an asset and a liability or just a liability. She isn’t interested in the car so I wasn’t even sure if I needed to bring it up due to the length of separation and the car not being contested anyways, but I read that since I’m financing I need to at least list the payments as a liability. I’m just looking for clarification.

Asked on September 11, 2018 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is listed as both an asset and a liability. For example, say it is worth at present (due to depreciation) $18,000 and you owe $16,000 more on it, making payments of $400/month for the next 40 months. You list the car as an asset; you list a debt of $16,000 with $400/month due on it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption