IfI fell in the shower atmotel because the shower was defective, how shouldI proceed?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI fell in the shower atmotel because the shower was defective, how shouldI proceed?

I never mentioned it at check out out of embarrassment and being in a hurry with my elder mom and others with us. Got home, and I’m pretty sore and very bruised. I called the motel to report the defective shower this morning. They denied that it was defective. What should I do to prevent others for having the same problem? The desk clerk didn’t seem to care much. I bruised my back, side, and knee.

Asked on July 14, 2010 under Personal Injury, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You should document your injury by contacting the insurance carrier for the motel and also going to a doctor.  It would also be advisable  to report the incident in writing to  the motel manager instead of speaking with the desk clerk  When you complete your treatment, obtain the medical report and medical bills.  When you present your claim to the insurance carrier, it should include the medical bills and medical reports and any wage loss.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your injury and will be used to determine the amount of compensation you receive for pain and suffering.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to your medical bills.  If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the insurance company, you can file a lawsuit for negligence against the motel.  Unless the case is settled with the insurance carrier, you will need to file your lawsuit prior to the expiration of the statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.  It would be advisable to speak with a personal injury attorney. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption