Must I pay forextradition fees if I was subsequently never charged?

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Must I pay forextradition fees if I was subsequently never charged?

About 10 years ago I was accused of many crimes, including rape. It shortly became clear rape did not occur and the charge was dropped. I then jumped bail and went to Mexico. Mexican INS got me with a US federal warrant for rape. The FBI took me back to the states and I was transferred back. I was not charged with rape then as they knew it didn’t happen nor was I charged for my flight. At the subsequent trial (convicted of 6 misdemeanors), I was prohibited from mentioning Mexico or my flight at all. Now the state wants me to pay for the extradition. Legal?

Asked on December 26, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you are required to pay for the costs of your extradition from Mexico to the United States depends upon the totality of the circumstances resulting in the extradition process. For a more definitive opinion on the question that you have written about, I recommend that you consult with a criminal defense attorney in your locality that has defended individuals who have been extradited.

The problem that I see as to payment of the costs for the extradition is that you have admitted that you were convicted of six misdemeanors presumably in the United States. If you had not been extradited, you never would have received these convictions.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption