father dies without a will.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

father dies without a will.

my father died and left 2 vehicles. i have one and my brother had the other one at the time of his death. i wanted to title one in my name but all siblings have to sign the title appl. 4 will sign but 2 wont. so what do i need to do?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Estate Planning, Mississippi


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If your father died without a will what happens is that the will be have to go through probate. Because there was no will that means the court is entitled to decide who gets what. If you cannot get everyone to agree than you  will have to wait and see what the court does with the car

The best thing for you is to get yourself an attorney if you think you will not be treated fiarly at the probate hearing. If you do it on your own get all the paperwork together to show you had the car, if you put any money into it, repairs etc. Than the court will possibly infer it was meant to be with you. However there are no guarantees with how the court will divide the assets

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption