father died with no will, cannot find out for sure he ever filed one

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

father died with no will, cannot find out for sure he ever filed one

my father died yesterday well, early this morning and he had no prep. done with wills, we do know what bank he dealt with, we don’t even know if he had life insurance…
we are at a total loss and are looking for a good starting point
Indianapolis, indiana

Asked on December 21, 2016 under Estate Planning, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you haven't already done so, question other family members or his friends. If that's of no help, check for a letter or business card from an attorney and, if you find one, contact the person and ask if they drafted a Will for your father. If you can't locate a lawyer's contact info, then start calling attorneys in town to see if they drafted a Will for him. If that's not successful, try and contact any other adviser that your father may have had such as an accountant, financial planner, insurance agent or the like) to see if they know something. Also, you could also place a "lost Will" ad in the local newspaper. Additionally, you can check with the Probate Court in the county where hed reside to see if a Will was filed with the Court. Further, if he had a safety deposit box, look there. If that doesn't work then go through any papers you can find in file cabinets, desk drawers, in the back of the closet, between the pages of a bible, etc. Hopefully you'll find at least a Will or an insurance policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption