Canonly oneparent make decisions about a child’s participation in extracurricular activities?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Canonly oneparent make decisions about a child’s participation in extracurricular activities?

My divorce included our 2 children. In the papers it say both parents have to agree to the child’s after school activities. My daughter has been in cheering for 7 years but with one month left in the season her dad wants her removed. Can he force this?

Asked on February 9, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

He may be able to force it  but the issue is if the order meant only new activities and not activities in which she was already participating and he already agreed to. Take him to court or better yet, force him to take you to court to amend the order or clarify the order and argue that this is for the benefit of the child in a sport in which she was already participating. Do not necessarily make him out to be the bad guy (most courts don't buy that) but let him sink his own ship and try to argue what made him changed his mind with such a short time period left.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption