How do I know what kind of attorneyI need?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I know what kind of attorneyI need?

I and my ex-husband bought a condo and I am the only person on the loan. We divorced 5 years ago and his name is still on the property. Now I am the only person paying the mortgage and property tax. Should I consult with family law attorney or real estate attorney to get this resolved?

Asked on March 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the property or the loan is referenced in a divorce agreement,  settlement, or court order then a family law attorney would probably be the most appropriate one; he or she could held interpret, understand, and enforce the obligations growing out of the divorce.

If the divorce settlement or order is silent on this issue, then a real estate attorney would probably be best.

Most attorneys will provide a free consultation--at least a free brief phone call--to see if the matter is an appropriate one for them. If you contact an attorney and he or she feels that a different lawyer would be more appropriate, he or she should tell you without charge. You can and should start the conversation by stating that you want to see if you are speaking to the right attorney for this case; and you can and should ask about the lawyer's policy on  the initial consultation before going to the office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption