Falsely Advertised Property

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Falsely Advertised Property

I purchased a property through a real estate company 7 months ago that was advertised as having deeded waterfront access but am finding out afterwards that it legaly does not. I have confirmed this with the county and title company. I feel like I was lied to and paid for something that I do not legally have. Can I sue the old property owners or the real estate company for falsely advertising this property that I purchased for the value of the deeded waterfront access that I paid for and now don’t legally have?

Asked on February 25, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the sellers for fraud: for intentionally lying to you about a material, or important, fact to get you to buy from them. A real estate broker/agency/etc. is not required to verify the information in the listing but can rely on what the seller provided, so the realtor would not be liable--it is the seller you would go after. You can, as you suggest, sue for the difference between in price between property like this with and without water access.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption