How best to handle a failure to report ticket?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How best to handle a failure to report ticket?

My daughter was parking in a restaurant’s parking lot. She realized she was too close to the car next to her so she pulled out to find another spot. While pulling out she scraped the car next to her. She looked and did not see any damage. She parked the car a few spaces away and went into the restaurant. When she left the restaurant and was pulling out to leave 3 police cars surrounded her. She is only 18 and was very scared. The police officer told her she failed to report the scraped damage and gave her the ticket. The owner of the car she scraped was not present. What should we do?

Asked on December 29, 2011 under Accident Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your daughter was cited by police officers for causing damages to another vehicle, she has a court appearance to make. I would place her insurance carrier on notice about what happened as soon as possible.

I would also consult with a criminal defense attorney about the ticket to determine whether she has been cited for an infraction or a misdemeanor. If a misdemeanor, it is suggested that a criminal defense attorney be retained to represent your daughter about the situation that you are wrtiting about. A misdemeanor conviction can result in a fine, jail time, or both plus possible driving suspension and higher insurance premiums.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption