What is my recourse regarding failure to disclose information about a positive pregnancy test resulting in an unwanted pregnancy?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my recourse regarding failure to disclose information about a positive pregnancy test resulting in an unwanted pregnancy?

About 5 months ago, I went into the emergency room because I had fallen and hurt myself. A pregnancy test was performed that I didn’t know about and when I walked out of that hospital with my pain pills, I had no idea that I was pregnant. Now, 2 weeks later, I went to the same ER to find out that I this time that I was pregnant and I was almost 8 months along. Can I sue?

Asked on November 26, 2016 under Malpractice Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't sue based on what you write. The fact that you are pregnant is not the hospital's fault: it did not cause your pregnancy. And the fact that you did not find out about the pregnancy immediately does not appear to have caused you any injury or costs--at least, you do not write about negative impacts from the failure to notify you. You can only recover compensation in a  lawsuit for actual injuries or costs the alleged malpractice causes you--without injuries or costs, there is no no basis for a lawsuit, since there are no consequences. (Even minor costs or injuries would not, as a practical matter, justify a lawsuit: malpractice suits can be very expensive, since you need to hire a medical expert to testify for you, and so should only be undertaken when there are many thousants or tens of thousands of dollars in costs, or some significant and long lasting injury.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption