Failure to appear /warrant from 10 years ago to go about taking care of it

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Failure to appear /warrant from 10 years ago to go about taking care of it

In florida but live in Illinois now. My
husband did not go to his court date.
Cops were called he was drunk outside
our home. Need to get it taken care
of. Dont know where to start. He claims
he can’t get a job because of it. It
was a misdemeanor, not a felony.

Asked on January 24, 2017 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since a warrant is involved, your husband needs to take care of this ASAP; warrants do not expire. As you are aware, it will effect his employment, plus he could be taken into custody if he is stopped by the police for even just a traffic ticket. Your husband will have to go and turn himself into the court. What he'll need to do is to consult directly with a criminal law attorney who practices in the area of where the warrant was issued. He'll best be able to advise your husband further. Just remember, your husbnad will have to deal both with the warrant and the underling misdemeanor charge, so legal counsel is strongly advised. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption