Failure to appear lifted

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Failure to appear lifted

I recently missed a court date for a medical support review; I owe $600. Since my last court date 6 months ago, my husband has been ill and diagnosed with cancer; he is doing radiation twice a day. I have never been in any trouble a day in my life and I don’t no what to do cause they issued a warrant for failure to appear.

Asked on January 14, 2017 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since a criminal charge is involved you really need legal representation. Regardless of the reason as to why you initially did not appear, you will now need to appear in court before a judge to take of both the warrant and the underlying incident. And the sooner the better as you can be arrested. While the police won't in all liklihood come after on this, you can be taken into custody if you are stopped for even a traffic ticket or the like. At this point, you should consult directly with a criminal law attorney who practices in the jurisdiction of where the warrant was issued.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption