Is there any way to take care of a warrant for failure to appear 10 years later this without being arrested?

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any way to take care of a warrant for failure to appear 10 years later this without being arrested?

I have a FTA warrant. The original charge was a minor in possession of alcohol. I was ordered to a program and to return to court and never returned. Can I contact the court and ask them to drop the warrant and give me another date? Or possible pay a fine without returning? Is this realistic?

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have an outstanding warrant due to a failure to appear concerning a minor in possession of alcohol that is more then ten (10) years old, the best way to get this outstanding warrant taken care of (recalled) and the charge of a minor in possession resolved is to hire a criminal defense attorney.

The attorney suggested to be retained can make an appearance for you and do the leg work to get the matter resolved. Since the charge was when you were a minor, the chances of things being resolved for a fine and no jail time are pretty good.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption