What will happen regarding a failure to appear for a battery?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen regarding a failure to appear for a battery?

My friend was arrested for making a hole in his roommate’s wall. The police took him in but then found out he had a warrant for failing to appear in court for battery. He no longer has vandalism charges but he is waiting to see the judge for his warrant because he missed court for the battery charge. What is most likely to happen in court?

Asked on December 26, 2016 under Criminal Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There will be a hefty fine for failure to appear.
In addition to that fine, if convicted on the battery charge, the penalty is a fine of up to $2000 and/or up to six months in county jail.  That is the penalty for simple battery.
If the battery was to a peace officer, firefighter, paramedic, EMT, etc., the fine is the same as above, but the potential jail sentence is a year.
If the battery inflicted serious bodily harm, the jail sentence is longer (2 to 4 years) and the fine is larger.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption