What will happen with jobs if I’m currently in the process of expunging my arrest?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen with jobs if I’m currently in the process of expunging my arrest?

I was arrested but not booked for petty theft; I went through diversion so was not charged. I’m now in the process of sealing the record this past week but I have to get an FBI BCI check for a camp counselor job in the next week and student teaching in just a few months. What will show up? How long before it is no longer visible? Do I mark that I was convicted on applications?

Asked on May 30, 2016 under Criminal Law, Ohio


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Until you have an official court order that says your record has been expunged, then you have to answer that you have been charged for this offense.  Once the judge declares your history expunged, then you can officially say on any employment applications that you have not been arrested for this offense.
However, just because a judge says 'expunged' on Monday does not mean that all of the agencies will instantly know on Tuesday.  The process can take 30-90 to cycle through all of the agencies that have the information.  From there, the agencies have to update private sector... which could take just as long.
If the judge does grant the expunction, but your history continues to appear on any public or private reports, you need to follow the dispute proceeds for each.  A private report is also considered a consumer report, therefore you have the same rights to dispute any errors in your report just as you would on your credit report.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption