What are the grounds for obtaining an annulment?

UPDATED: May 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the grounds for obtaining an annulment?

My friend married the “perfect” man 4 months ago. She has since learned he is a registered sex offender – forcible intercourse with a weapon and violence toward women; convictions in 2 states. How can she get an annulment in TX? 

Asked on May 23, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under Texas annulment laws, the following are the voidable grounds under which you can file:

  • Marriage Under the Age of 14
  • Marriage Under the Age of 18
  • Under Influence of Alcohol or Drugs
  • Marriage never consumated 
  • Fraud & Duress

Concealing a violent criminal past may well qualify as fraud under TX law.  However, if someone files on this ground, they cannot have lived with the person since they learned of the fraud. At this point, your friend needs to speak directly to a TX divorce attorney. They can specifically advise as to her rights under state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption