Exactly which kind of DBA DO I need?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Exactly which kind of DBA DO I need?

I worked for a trucking company
hauling logs to a mill. I’ve
recently purchased my own truck
from the man I worked for but I
still haul for him now. I’m kind
of wondering exactly what kind of
DBA do I need to file?

Asked on July 28, 2017 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Set up an LLC (limited liability company). An LLC, like a corporation, will protect your personal assets (e.g. house; money in the bank) from most business-related debts or obligations, other than ones you personally guaranty, such as if your company breaches a contract or is sued.
An LLC is simpler and more flexible than a corporation, and involves less paperwork, so its usually better for a small business.
When you set it up, choose "pass through" or "partneship" or "disregarded" tax status--that will avoid double taxation and help you claim any business expenses as tax deductions.
Good luck with the the new business.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption