Ex-wife not paying car payment that is in my name

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ex-wife not paying car payment that is in my name

She was awarded a car that was in my
name in divorce with it stating she had
to pay payment in timely manor. She.
30 days late it’s hitting my credit.
What can I do?

Asked on January 9, 2018 under Family Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can pursue contempt of court against your ex. You will need to file an Order to Show Cause to request a hearing on your contempt of court claim.  Call the court clerk to schedule a hearing and include the date/time/department of the hearing on your Order to Show Cause.  File your Order to Show Cause with the court and a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your contempt of court claim.  Also, file any additional documents, items, etc. if applicable, that support your contempt of court claim.  File a proof of service (court form).  After filing your documents with the court, mail a copy of those documents with the proof of service to your ex to provide her with notice of the hearing.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing your court-filed documents to your ex.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if there are any additional documents you are required to file for a contempt of court claim because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption