Ex-wife diagnosed with terminal Cancer. My name remains on the house’s mortgage

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ex-wife diagnosed with terminal Cancer. My name remains on the house’s mortgage

My ex-wife has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. We share joint custody of our 10 year old son. She and my son reside in the house we purchased during our marriage. My name remains on the house’s mortgage. I spoke to her yesterday and she informed me that her lawyer has everything taken care of in regards to the house and that my son will be residing in said house after her death. What are my rights regarding my son and the house?

Asked on December 15, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation.  Since the mortgage company was not part of your divorce settlement you are bound by the contract you signed with them - the mortgage.  I am assuming you were paying support and your wife was paying the mortgage from that, correct?  You need to contact an attorney.  The Stipulation of Settlement in the divorce binds you and your wife in a Contract but now the situation has changed and you need to adjust things, most importantly taking care of your son.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption