What legal action can I take if mx refuses to refinance the house even once she has remarried?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What legal action can I take if mx refuses to refinance the house even once she has remarried?

My ex and I were separated 12 years ago and divorced 10 years later. We did the paperwork and filed ourselves. At the time of filing, she assured me that the only property listed in both names was our son’s car and that her mom and dad were on house loan, so it was not listed on divorce decree. I paid the payments in full while living there, then a portion of monthly payment once I moved out. I have now found a property and find out that even after she has

remarried she has still not refinanced and house still financed in my name. She is dragging her feet and could potentially cause me to lose this property.

Asked on June 18, 2018 under Family Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the divorce decree or settlement (i.e. a court order, or an agreement you and she voluntarily entered into as part of your divorce) requires her to refinance, you can enforce that decree or settlement by filing a legal action: the type of action procedurally varies with whether it is a decree or a settlement (in the former case, it is a motion to enforce a court order; in the latter case, a "breach of contract"--since a settlement is a contract--lawsuit). A family law attorney can help do this.
If there is no decree or settlement requiring her to refinance, you can't force her to so: only a decree or settlement would require her to refinance. If you are on the title to the house, you can compel her to sell the house--when the two (or more) owners of real estate disagree as to what to do with it, one of them can bring a type of legal action traditionally called an action "for partition" (though your state may have a different name for it) seeking a court order requiring that the house be sold, any mortgages and liens paid, and any amounts left over be distributed among the owners. A real estate attorney could help you with this option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption