What to do if my ex-husband stopped paying my car note for 2 months now andit was in the divorce decree that he had to pay?

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex-husband stopped paying my car note for 2 months now andit was in the divorce decree that he had to pay?

He was supposed to pay for 4 years until its paid off. Can I take him to court? If I make past due payments will I get my money back?

Asked on October 22, 2011 under Family Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are in the right currently. If your divorce decree mandated he pay and he didn't, you immediately take him to court. In the interim, you may wish to mitigate your damages (especially if the car is also in your name and the loan is in your name) by paying the monthly payments so you maintain your credit and stay on time on the loan. If you make the past due payments and all of the payments, yo can certainly show the court the monies you front funded and have the court order him to pay tha back plus interest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption