Ex has possession of IRS refund check

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ex has possession of IRS refund check

I was divorced in 2016. We have a refund for 2013 on an amended return. My ex-
husband has the check or has forged my signature to cash it. Because it was a
joint return the check is in both our names. It seemed fair to me the check should
have been divided equally. I also told him he did not have permission to forge my
name. The IRS will not help me with this. What can I do? The amount of the refund
is 1229.

Asked on September 5, 2017 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The likely you will need to sue him in a small claims court setting to get half of the funds back.  Do you have any information on the refund check that came from the IRS or can you ask them for a copy of the letter and check they sent?  You are entitled to same.  I would also alert the bank he uses that he intends to endorse your name.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption