What can I do to protect myself if my ex-boyfriend was involved in a hit and run in my car?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to protect myself if my ex-boyfriend was involved in a hit and run in my car?

I had a visit from an officer last night looking for my ex who was involved in a hit and run. He’s on my insurance or was, until today. The person he hit went to the hospital but it wasn’t serious. I don’t have a lot of details. I co-signed on his car lease as well. What can I do to protect myself?

Asked on March 24, 2018 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You are not criminally liable for his hit-and-run, since you were not the driver. But as the car's owner and as someone who allowed him to use your car, you could be held civily liable: that is, you can be sued by anyone he injured or whose car (or other property) he damaged for medical costs, injuries, property damage, etc. If you had him on your insurance at the time of the accident (as it appears you did), your insurance *should* cover the accident, at least up to policy limits. You could sue your ex for any amounts you have to pay or costs you incur, or damage to your own car, not coverd by insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption