If my ex-boss is blackmailing me and won’t give me my last check, what should I do?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-boss is blackmailing me and won’t give me my last check, what should I do?

After I got fired he called and said if I attempted to collect unemployment he would turn me into the police cause he went through my texts and e-mails and found drug related activity. I asked for my paycheck 5 times. Today I sent him an e-mail asking for my paycheck or I will file with the department of labor. He wrote back, “I have kept all your e-mails and messages. Do you really want me to turn you and your drug dealing friends in? I did you a favor by not going to the cops when I found out what you were doing. Let it go”.

Asked on November 14, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Legally, what he is doing is wrong:

1) You are owed your final paycheck no matter what--even if he felt you in turn owed him money for some reason, he'd have to sue you for that, not withhold your paycheck.

2) Unlesss you were fired for cause, you are eligible for unemployment--though if you were fired for drug use, that would be cause and you could be denied.

3) People are NOT allowed to blackmail, threaten, or extort; they are specifically not allowed to use the criminal justice system as leverage to get what they want.

So you could sue for the paycheck, apply for unemployment (as long as you were not fired for cause), and even try to take legal action against your ex-boss for his threats...and he, of course, could turn over any evidence in his possession to the police, since the fact that he has acted improperly does not bar him from reporting a crime of which he is aware. You should think carefully about this situation before acting.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption