UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I have 2 adults who rent my property monthly. We have no lease, it is a month-to-month rental agreement, they have not paid rent for the month of April, they are saying that theyre not going to pay because I have a Ford F1 50 pick up truck parked on my property and they are saying they’re charging me for storage what legal action can I take to get them out of my home?

Asked on April 10, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have a lease: an oral (unwritten) one. If they are not paying rent, serve them a three-day notice to either pay or leave; if they don't pay, then you can file an eviction complaint (lawsuit) in county court. You should be able to get instructions and possibly sample forms from the court, either in person or online.
A good idea if you want them gone more than you want the money is to, as a back-up (in case they pay the rent), send them a notice terminating their month-to-month (MTM) tenancy. An MTM tenancy may be terminated on a full month's notice (since tenancies start on the first of a month, you can't terminate it mid-month). Today is April 11th; you could sent them a notice terminating their tenancy for June 1 (their last day would be May 31)--they get a full month (May) of notice, plus the remainder of April. If the don't leave or aren't evicted (such as for nonpayment) earlier, you could then bring an eviction case because their tenancy is over on or after June 1.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption