Eviction when property is sold.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Eviction when property is sold.

A rental home has been sold. On 6/9/09 the tenant is told he will have to get out by the end of the month. Is this legal?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Real Estate Law, South Dakota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You left out an important part: do you have a lease?  If yo do then you have the legal right to stay until the end of your lease.

If not, then you are a month to month tenant. The owner/landlord is obligated to give you 30 days notice to vacate.  Usually in writing or by some other formal act (like a notice to vacate stuck to the door).  Call the landlord.  Tell him you need more time.  He may have to work things out with the new owners or maybe he will offer to pay moving costs.     

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption