Does a landlord have to accept a partial payment?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a landlord have to accept a partial payment?

We currently have a $1000 balance with our apartment for 1 months rent and $200 of the previous balance. We were given until today to pay the full balance but could only get $700. We got a money order and they said they may not be able to accept it since its not the full balance. They said they may have to get their lawyer involved at our cost. Since we are paying a major portion of the balance, with promise to pay the remainder before the end of the month, why can they not accept it?

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless the written lease that you presumably signed with your landlord for the rental that you have states that the landlord is required to accept partial payments for back rent, he or she is not obligated to do so.

One reason why the landlord may not accept the partial payment is a concern that by accepting not all of it, a claim could be made that he or she accepted the partial payment as payment in full for all that was supposedly due.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption