Under what circumstances can a long term guest/tenant be evicted?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Under what circumstances can a long term guest/tenant be evicted?

My 2 children and I moved in with my fiance a year ago. I have been contributing to more than half of the mortgage and utilities. There is no written agreement. We are now parting ways but are remaining in the home for now for the children’s sake. I am interested in lowering my contribution. I want to know if he can legally evict us at any moment?

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

At this point, since you have contributed to the mortgage payments and utility bills, you are considered to be a tenant in the eyes of the law. Since there is not formal written lease, you are a month-to-month tenant. Accordingly, upon 30 days notice, you can be asked to remove yourself from the premises. if you fail to leave by the specified date then the lawful occupant, your ex-boyfriend, will have to go to court and file an "unlawful detainer action (i.e. eviction lawsuit). If you still fail to leave by the vacate date, then he can have the sheriff come and forcibly remove you. The whole process (30 day notice, court-ordered eviction, and removal) can take between 2-3 months (depending on your particular jurisdiction).

In the meantime, if he takes any action against you, such as changing the locks or removing your belongings, you could sue him for wrongful eviction.

At this point you should consult with a tenant rightsorganization in your area, or with an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption