Estranged husband died I am not on death certificate can I get remarried

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Estranged husband died I am not on death certificate can I get remarried

I got married in 2002 we split up in 2005 but he always gave me the run around on
getting a divorce he would ‘forget’ to sign the papers or whatever. He was killed
in February of this year and his family who has had nothing to do with him until
a few months before his death listed him as Never Married on his DC it was hard
to get a copy but it finally came in. I want to get married again my question is
do I have to be listed on his DC to get remarried or can I even be added on?

Asked on September 13, 2017 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry.  I would try and file an amended Death Certificate listing you as the spouse on same and re-file it with the correct vital records bureau in the state and county in which he died.  I would send in a copy of your marriage license and send either an affidavit or a letter that has been notarized (that is considered a sworn statement) that you wee never divorced and that you are his surviving spouse and you wish to amned the death certificate to reflect the corrected information.  Then move on with your life.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption