Entrapment and misrepresentation of age.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Entrapment and misrepresentation of age.

I am in my 40s and have begun dating women in their 20s through an online sex site. If a woman represents she is 25 online, but turns out to be 17 when we meet, can I be arrested? Is this entrapment? Do police use these sites to “set people up” and would that be legal? Thanks for your help.

Asked on June 26, 2009 under Criminal Law, Washington


James White / Legacy Legal, PLLC

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It is illegal to knowingly engage in "explicit" talk with a minor (anyone under the age of 18).  You need to take care with your "chat" and make some effort to ascertain the woman's true age.  I think you've seen enough press stories of the police "setting people up" to know that they do so and that it is legal.  It is not entrapment to afford someone an opportunity to commit a crime.  Better that the person commit the crime with undercover cops then real minors.  If you meet the person ask to see id.  If you meet for drinks then they'll have to show their id without you even having to ask.

At your sevice,

James J. White

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption