Am I entitled to any proceeds from the sale of my stepmother’s home?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to any proceeds from the sale of my stepmother’s home?

My father and my stepmother purchased a home together. They had 1 child. He died first and the deed stated that she had sole survivorship. She recently died. Their daughter and I are grown but I wanted to know if I had any entitlement to the home or proceeds from

the sale of it.

Asked on December 5, 2016 under Estate Planning, Mississippi


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Once the house passed to your stepmother via her rights of survivorship, she became vested with 100% ownershi. This means that has the sole owner it was up to her discretion how the property wold pass. If she had a Will then that determines who inherits. If she died without a Will, then typically that would be her next of kin inherit (that would be her blood relatives and any adopted children). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption