Engineering company did not complete its job. I did not sing any agreemnt .Had verbal agreement for final result. Can they place liean on my property?

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Engineering company did not complete its job. I did not sing any agreemnt .Had verbal agreement for final result. Can they place liean on my property?

I had a verbal agreement to divide my land to 3 pieces. I agreed to pay for the final result: approved 3 lots. Engineering company did a survey and proposed 2 additional houses with septic. (I paid for soil test for proposed septic). I submitted an application the town hall, but proposed plan was not approved: they requested to install public sewer for these 2 houses, which was never discussed with engineering company. This installation will cost more than $120K which is not acceptable for me in any way. I had to withdraw an application. Because of lack of knowledge on Town Rules and regulat

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in Hartford, CT.  I am surprised that there was no contract signed by you and the engineering firm.  Oral contracts are enforecable just like written contracts.  Unless the services for which were provided are required to be in writing, then the engineering firm may sue you for failing to make paying under an unjust enrichment theory or a simple breach of an oral contract theory.  The Engineering firm, to secure payment, may file a lien on the property by way of a prejudgment remedy or mechanic's lien.  Depending which rout was taken (PJR or mech lien), there may be ways to invalidate the lien.  I would need to know more facts.  If you would like to call me i am more than happy to talk.  860-214-1137 (Jared).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption